It seems related to the fade effect. This also happens on the
shutdown/restart box as it fades into view. It's worse when trying to
click the Dash Home button. The computer seems to freeze for like 30
seconds and then the search window stars to slowly fade into view. There
is also some strange transparent box around it covering the desktop. It
makes it almost impossible to use 13.10. I had to revert to 13.04. I
tried this on a Dell OptiPlex 755 Intel Core 2 Duo CPU E6550 @ 2.33GHz x
2. Graphics: Intel Q35. RAM: 1.9 GiB. It also happens when doing the
ubuntu preview. I tried the October 1st, 2013 daily release Desktop
edition 64 bit.

Packages, which is subscribed to jockey in Ubuntu.

  Ubuntu 13.10 beta 2, HP DC7600 Intel945G graphics - unity very very
  slow

Status in “jockey” package in Ubuntu:

  HP DC7600, P4 3.06 GHz, 3GB RAM
  After a system upgrade from 13.04 to 13.10 everything related to Unity e.g.
trying to get the HUD up, hovering over icons in the program launcher bar is
extremely slow. It does actually work (doesn't crash), but is just slow.
  As as example: from clicking on "Search your computer and online sources"
(i.e. get the HUD up) it takes 20 seconds for the HUD to appear.
  ubuntu@test-0001:~$ lsb_release -rd
  Release:      13.10 (64bit)

  *** Additional info ***

  I have managed to reproduce the same problem on an Acer Veriton-3700GX
  with Intel 915G graphics.  (PC Spec: P4 3.06 GHz, 2GB RAM)

  This time In order to prove that the problem was not related to a
  "13.04 to 13.10 beta 2 upgrade",  I cleanly booted the Acer Veriton
  with a 13.10 Beta 2 USB stick, using the ISO image from the Ubuntu
  13.10 Beta 2 web site.

  Once the Veriton PC  booted and settled down, getting the HUD up was
  once again extremely slow..