Hello,

I don't have exactly same problem, but I found some problems with xorg
when I switch user between openned sessions:

PROBLEM: I have session with 1600x1050 and switch to another user's
session that was previously set with same 1600x1050 resolution. But when
I switch to this session, the screen gets 1280x1024 and for some reason
the size of the session is very very wrong (it is bigger than the screen
resolution and I can't move or click most of the things so I have to
restart all Xorg).

WORKAROUND: Fortunately I have found some way to resolv it in a tricky way: 
Change resolution file name with your resolution file. 

    1-Install get-edid command:  sudo apt-get install read-edid
    2-Create a bin file with edid information: sudo get-edid  > 1600x1050.bin
    3-Create a folder to store this file: sudo mkdir /lib/firmware/edid
    4-Copy the file: sudo cp 1600x1050.bin 
    4-Edit grub to edit linux command to load this file in kms: 
         -sudo editor /etc/default/grub
         -Edit line:  
RUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="drm_kms_helper.edid_firmware=edid/1600x1050.bin 
quiet" 
                 Change your name.bin file. 
         -sudo update-grub
     5-Reboot and test. 

For some reason it worked for me very well. 
I have this card and driver: 
fglrxinfo 
display: :0  screen: 0
OpenGL vendor string: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.
OpenGL renderer string: AMD Radeon HD 6450
OpenGL version string: 4.2.12002 Compatibility Profile Context 9.012

My edid information file is:

command: #parse-edid < 1600x1050.bin


parse-edid: parse-edid version 2.0.0
parse-edid: EDID checksum passed.

        # EDID version 1 revision 3
Section "Monitor"
        # Block type: 2:0 3:fc
        Identifier "22T41-H-AN"
        VendorName "KTC"
        ModelName "22T41-H-AN"
        # Block type: 2:0 3:fc
        # Block type: 2:0 3:fd
        HorizSync 15-68
        VertRefresh 49-61
        # Max dot clock (video bandwidth) 150 MHz
        # DPMS capabilities: Active off:no  Suspend:no  Standby:no

        Mode    "1280x720"      # vfreq 60.000Hz, hfreq 45.000kHz
                DotClock        74.250000
                HTimings        1280 1390 1430 1650
                VTimings        720 725 730 750
                Flags   "+HSync" "+VSync"
        EndMode
        Mode    "1680x1050"     # vfreq 59.883Hz, hfreq 64.674kHz
                DotClock        119.000000
                HTimings        1680 1728 1760 1840
                VTimings        1050 1053 1059 1080
                Flags   "-HSync" "+VSync"
        EndMode
        # Block type: 2:0 3:fc
        # Block type: 2:0 3:fd
EndSection


kernel.log:
2139 Oct  2 21:45:06 dans679-computer kernel: [    0.000000] Kernel command 
line: BOOT_IMAGE=/boot/vmlinuz-3.8.0-30-generic root=UUID=939b3111-4906-     
46ae-9ad7-7faa783d490d ro drm_kms_helper.edid_firmware=edid/1600x1050.bin quiet

I was looking for other bug report similar in launchpad, but still
looking for the correct one. I would like find a user with same problem
I had, because I think this problems affects many things in KMS (Kernel
mode switch), not just switching between user session, also games in
full screen with different resolution and others things.

It is very hard to find the correct way to report this issue, I would
like to have some help with some Xorg/Kernel team.

I think this could be fixed in some low level, but could be also fixed
with this kind of workaround in some easier way for users: For example
adding some script that test if edid is detected or not, and asking the
user if he liked to let script get the edid info and parse it to the
kernel command, then ask if it was working fine and if the user wants to
keep these settings.

Hope it could help your issue too.

Cheers,
Pablo. 

** Attachment added: "my edid file with information used"
   
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xserver-xorg-video-ati/+bug/579292/+attachment/3856530/+files/1600x1050.bin

-- 
You received this bug notification because you are a member of Desktop
Packages, which is subscribed to xserver-xorg-video-ati in Ubuntu.
https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/579292

Title:
  Switch of user causes display problems

Status in “xserver-xorg-video-ati” package in Ubuntu:
  Confirmed

Bug description:
  Binary package hint: xorg

  When I updated the system from 9.2 to 10.04 the colours of the X11
  Display were very strange - very yellow. I suspected the error in the
  file xorg.conf and changed the default from 32 bits to 24 bits. After
  that the display looked correct. When I switch a user from a running
  session (gnome) to another user, gdm showed me a tiled window with
  four quarters and only the upper left was correct. Then I experimented
  with options for the display sections in the file xorg.conf and now
  the first switch of a user somehow works. But if I switch back to the
  first user the screen is "nearly" black. I clearly can see the mouse
  pointer and suspect that everything else, except the display works.

  Finally I decided to install a new Ubuntu system (no update) on the same 
computer but here the first user switch does not work.
  The lower part shows "Ubuntu" and there is no gdm window to log in.

  ProblemType: Bug
  DistroRelease: Ubuntu 10.04
  Package: xorg 1:7.5+5ubuntu1
  ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 2.6.32-22.33-generic 2.6.32.11+drm33.2
  Uname: Linux 2.6.32-22-generic i686
  Architecture: i386
  Date: Wed May 12 14:38:15 2010
  DkmsStatus:
   fglrx, 8.723.1, 2.6.31-21-generic, i686: installed 
   fglrx, 8.723.1, 2.6.32-22-generic, i686: installed
  Lsusb:
   Bus 004 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
   Bus 003 Device 002: ID 046d:c043 Logitech, Inc. MX320/MX400 Laser Mouse
   Bus 003 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
   Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
   Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
  MachineType: IBM 2672C8G
  PccardctlIdent:
   Socket 0:
     no product info available
   Socket 1:
     no product info available
  PccardctlStatus:
   Socket 0:
     no card
   Socket 1:
     no card
  ProcCmdLine: BOOT_IMAGE=/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.32-22-generic 
root=UUID=49baf2bd-8030-4144-9b33-dc0fe146e0ae ro quiet splash
  ProcEnviron:
   PATH=(custom, user)
   LANG=de_DE.utf8
   SHELL=/bin/bash
  SourcePackage: xorg
  Symptom: display
  dmi.bios.date: 07/28/2005
  dmi.bios.vendor: IBM
  dmi.bios.version: 1QET96WW (3.01 )
  dmi.board.name: 2672C8G
  dmi.board.vendor: IBM
  dmi.board.version: Not Available
  dmi.chassis.asset.tag: No Asset Information
  dmi.chassis.type: 10
  dmi.chassis.vendor: IBM
  dmi.chassis.version: Not Available
  dmi.modalias: 
dmi:bvnIBM:bvr1QET96WW(3.01):bd07/28/2005:svnIBM:pn2672C8G:pvrThinkPadX31:rvnIBM:rn2672C8G:rvrNotAvailable:cvnIBM:ct10:cvrNotAvailable:
  dmi.product.name: 2672C8G
  dmi.product.version: ThinkPad X31
  dmi.sys.vendor: IBM
  glxinfo: Error: command ['glxinfo'] failed with exit code -11:
  system:
   distro:             Ubuntu
   codename:           lucid
   architecture:       i686
   kernel:             2.6.32-22-generic

To manage notifications about this bug go to:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xserver-xorg-video-ati/+bug/579292/+subscriptions

-- 
Mailing list: https://launchpad.net/~desktop-packages
Post to     : [email protected]
Unsubscribe : https://launchpad.net/~desktop-packages
More help   : https://help.launchpad.net/ListHelp

Reply via email to