Created attachment 813885
0001-Bug-417952-Open-Containing-Folder-doesn-t-highlight-.patch

Hi, this patch uses the File Manager DBus Interface[1] to launch file
manager and select a file. When this DBus interface is not present, then
the current code is used, so to not break backward compatibility.

The DBus call to check if the file manager interface is present is only
called once, I used a static variable for that.

--

A quick note about how I got to this patch, I firstly cooked up a patch
that used gio api to find out the handler application of the

fortunately, the DBus file manager interface[1] is the perfect solution
to this, defining a common and concrete interface to open and reveal a
file in the default file manager, although currently is only implemented
by nautilus, it was agreed on FreeDesktop list by kde and xfce too, so
when they happen to implement it they will get this nice "open and
reveal" behaviour from firefox but in the meantime they will get the
current code which just opens the folder.

[1] http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Specifications/file-manager-
interface/

  firefox right click open containing folder should highlight file

Status in The Mozilla Firefox Browser:
  Confirmed
Status in “firefox” package in Ubuntu:

  Binary package hint: firefox

  The only reason I am assuming this is a bug is because the
  functionality is in Windows. Basically, if the user right clicks on a
  file in the Downloads of Firefox and selects "Open Containing Folder",
  Nautilus should open with the file highlighted to make the file easier
  to find.

  1) The release of Ubuntu you are using, via 'lsb_release -rd' or System ->
About Ubuntu.
  Release:      10.04

  2) The version of the package you are using, via 'apt-cache policy
packagename' or by checking in Synaptic.
    Installed: 3.6.3+nobinonly-0ubuntu4
    Candidate: 3.6.3+nobinonly-0ubuntu4
    Version table:
   *** 3.6.3+nobinonly-0ubuntu4 0
          500 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ lucid/main Packages
          100 /var/lib/dpkg/status

  3) What you expected to happen
  I expected my file to be highlighted.

  4) What happened instead
  Nautilus opened, but the file was not highlighted.

  Package: firefox 3.6.3+nobinonly-0ubuntu4
  ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 2.6.32-22.36-generic 2.6.32.11+drm33.2
  Uname: Linux 2.6.32-22-generic i686
  Architecture: i386
  Date: Tue Jun 29 11:15:58 2010
  FirefoxPackages:
   firefox 3.6.3+nobinonly-0ubuntu4
   firefox-gnome-support 3.6.3+nobinonly-0ubuntu4
   firefox-branding 3.6.3+nobinonly-0ubuntu4
   abroswer N/A
   abrowser-branding N/A
  InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 10.04 LTS "Lucid Lynx" - Release i386 (20100429)
  ProcEnviron:
   LANG=en_US.utf8
   SHELL=/bin/bash
  SourcePackage: firefox