Status changed to 'Confirmed' because the bug affects multiple users.

** Changed in: openoffice.org (Ubuntu)

Packages, which is subscribed to openoffice.org in Ubuntu.

  Highlighting in openoffice can't be modified with MS Word

Status in The OpenOffice.org Suite:
  Unknown
Status in “openoffice.org” package in Ubuntu:

  Binary package hint: openoffice.org

  I have made a file, clean.doc, with MS Word for Windows 2007.

  Then I edited the file in Openoffice.org, version 1:3.2.0-7ubuntu4.1,
  and added few char and highlighted a couple of words; saved the file
  as a .doc.

  Opening again the file in MS Word, I discovered that the highlighting
  made with OO.org is permanent. It is impossible to remove (select the
  background icon, set it no color, nothing happens). You have to delete
  the text and rewrite it, or copy as text to delete the highlighting in
  word. This is a very nasty interoperability problem.

  The highlighting done in word is editable both ways. Saving the file
  in .odt and opening it in Word (with the appropriate filter) does not
  solve the problem.

  Problematic file attached. Thanks!