I've seen it a few times when apport does not send the info up to
launchpad when requested, just touches an .upload file and exits.

Attached is a .crash file for which an apport-cli session just exits
like so:

⟫ ls -l _usr_lib_arm-linux-gnueabihf_upstart-app-launch_desktop-hook.32011.*
-rw-r----- 1 michal michal 14597 paź 13 18:36
_usr_lib_arm-linux-gnueabihf_upstart-app-launch_desktop-hook.32011.crash
⟫ apport-cli
_usr_lib_arm-linux-gnueabihf_upstart-app-launch_desktop-hook.32011.crash

*** Send problem report to the developers?

After the problem report has been sent, please fill out the form in the
automatically opened web browser.

What would you like to do? Your options are:
  S: Send report (13.9 KB)
  V: View report
  K: Keep report file for sending later or copying to somewhere else
  I: Cancel and ignore future crashes of this program version
  C: Cancel
Please choose (S/V/K/I/C): s
⟫ ls -l _usr_lib_arm-linux-gnueabihf_upstart-app-launch_desktop-hook.32011.*
-rw-r----- 1 michal michal 14597 paź 13 18:36
_usr_lib_arm-linux-gnueabihf_upstart-app-launch_desktop-hook.32011.crash
-rw-r--r-- 1 michal michal     0 paź 13 18:40
_usr_lib_arm-linux-gnueabihf_upstart-app-launch_desktop-hook.32011.upload

** Affects: apport (Ubuntu)

--
apport does not send .crash report to launchpad
Packages, which is subscribed to apport in Ubuntu.