Public bug reported:

I'm using smbnetfs for accesing a remote fileserver:

   smbnetfs on /tmp/test type fuse.smbnetfs
(rw,nosuid,nodev,user=e10000)

when I copy a directory with several (hundreds) of files performance is
really bad and it takes lot of time.

for example a directori with 300 files takes 5 seconds with `cp' command

   $ time cp -r USMT301/ /tmp/

   real 0m4.671s
   user 0m0.020s
   sys  0m0.128s

and with nautilus takes about 10 minutes. so it's clearly a problem with
nautilus, not smbnetfs.
if you copy just one big file (for example an ISO) performance is OK.

to replicate just launch smbnetfs and copy a dir with several files with
nautilus.

I'm not sure if it affects other fuse filesystems and it seems related
to nautilus not recognizing fuse mount point as a remote filesystem.

maybe related:

this is a critical stopper for me as I already migrated 50 desktops to linux in
my department and I just discovered this.
any solution or workaround will be really wellcome.

please, ask for further info.

   $ lsb_release -rd
   Release:     12.04

   ii  nautilus          1:3.4.2-0ubuntu8  file manager and graphical shell for
GNOME
   ii  smbnetfs                  0.5.3a-1                  User-space
filesystem for SMB/NMB (Windows) network servers

** Affects: nautilus (Ubuntu)

** Tags: nautilus performance smbnetfs

  nautilus performance when copying several files from smbnetfs (fuse)

Status in “nautilus” package in Ubuntu: