It happened to me when opened, resized, saved and closed png files in a
row.. The slowness started around the 5. circle, and it gets worst and
worst until I kill unity-panel-service

Packages, which is subscribed to gimp in Ubuntu.

  GIMP and unity-panel-service go mayhem while opening files

Status in “gimp” package in Ubuntu:

  On my Sony Vaio VPCCA (Intel Sandy Bridge), when I select 37 JPG-
  images with together a size not more than 5 MB and open them with a
  rightclick and "open with GIMP", GIMP opens them very, very slow.
  After having opened all pictures it takes about 30 seconds until GIMP
  is ready. The menus in the unity global menu don't work anymore, and I
  have to rightclick into an image to get the options. In the background
  GIMP, unity-panel-service and compiz go mayhem (see screenshot
  attached) and together sometimes take up over 150% CPU power. Working
  with images is impossible and GIMP sometimes accepts my changes of an
  image, sometimes not. This is very annoying!!

  I not sure, but this could have something to do with with
  unity/compiz, because I always have similar problems with other
  programs too. They are slow, laggy, the global menu is not working
  right, and sometimes the program simply crash without saying anything.
  On my xubuntu without compiz this stuff never happens with these
  programs, neither with GIMP.