seems like a kernel issue rather than a nautilus one

** Package changed: nautilus (Ubuntu) => linux (Ubuntu)

  Whole system freezes while copying files

Status in “linux” package in Ubuntu:

  The same issue occurred to me 3 times today in Ubuntu 13.10, under
  different circumstances.

  I was copying files in Nautilus from my internal HD to an external HD,
  when after about one minute the whole system froze to the point that I
  had to shut down my PC brutally using the power button.

  Here are the details about the drives and partitions:
  - Internal: 500 GB drive, 460 GB NTFS partition, distinct from my Ubuntu
partition
  - External: 1 TB, one single NTFS partition

  I've been using Ubuntu for just about 4 weeks, but before today I'd been
reading and writing from both drives involved without any issue. I was not able
to clearly identify the particular conditions that were causing the copy
operation to fail, as the circumstances varied:
  - In one occurrence of the bug, I also had a second external HD (320 GB)
plugged in; however, when the problem reoccurred this was no longer the case.
  - The folder I was trying to copy that first caused the issue was an SVN
repository (30 MB). However, I was subsequently able to copy it succesfully.
Besides, later on the issue occurred with a different folder containing photos
(12 GB).

  **EDIT**: After the issue occurred again, I feel like I should add
  some more details regarding how exactly it manifests.

  The exact symptoms of the freeze are variable:
  - Sometimes, the system just gets downright frozen - I can't do anything,
even move the mouse.
  - Sometimes, I'm able to move the mouse around, but that's all I can do.
  - Last time it happened, when I saw that the copying was blocked I was able
to close the copy dialog. But a few seconds afterwards, all Nautilus windows
were grayed out, so I pressed Alt+F2 in order to open xkill. The menu did open,
but the system then froze before I could launch xkill. **END OF EDIT**

  Package: nautilus 1:3.8.2-0ubuntu2
  Uname: Linux 3.11.0-12-generic i686
  ApportVersion: 2.12.5-0ubuntu2
  Architecture: i386