I have since clarified that problem 2 from comment #4 above is not
valid, and was related to the specific application we were using.

So, in summary, there does NOT seem to be any issue with setting ibus as
the "keyboard input method" in Language Support.

But, problem 1 from comment #4 above regarding needing to use the Debian
versions of ibus instead of the patched Ubuntu versions remains valid
and true for Precise, Oneiric, and I am assuming others.  Whatever is in
the ubuntu patched version BREAKS gui use of ibus!

I have re-packaged ibus from debian in my ppa, so anyone wanting to
confirm it solves their problems is welcome to try the packages from the
ppa (if you add the ppa, on next dist-upgrade it should pull them in
automatically):

https://launchpad.net/~wasta-linux/+archive/wasta

Packages, which is subscribed to ibus in Ubuntu.

  Can't change IBus input method using menu in Unity

Status in “ibus” package in Ubuntu:

  Tested in Ubuntu 12.04 (fresh install):
  Changing the input method using the menu in the top bar of Unity does not
work when the following preference is set: "Advanced/Global input method
settings/Share the same input method among all applications".
  Only the keyboard shortcuts work.

  When this option is not set, changing the method using the menu works
  only with GTK enabled application (e.g. gedit, Firefox, Chrome), but
  not in Java or KDE based application such as VirtualBox.

  Workaround: use keyboard shortcut.