Sebastián, which eclipse.desktop file did you modify? The one from the
Ubuntu Eclipse package or did you create your own? Ubuntu only packages
Eclipse 3.8 so if you want to use kepler (4.3), you have to download,
extract it manually (from the sound of it you already did that) then you
need to create your own .desktop file that points to the executable,
with the same menu workaround. You can drag that new .desktop file to
the launcher.

The splash screen I believe got fixed recently in the upcoming version
4.4 because it looks fine with the latest build for me but not earlier
versions. I'll poke around to see if the fix can be backported to the
4.3 stream but this is a bit off-topic...

I think a good temporary solution for the menu would be to fix the
blacklist so Eclipse is blacklisted again at the "program name" level so
that both the Ubuntu package and the eclipse.org packages have a working
menu again. But from what I understand of the problem, it would only
workaround the issue for Eclipse products that have "eclipse" or
"Eclipse" has the executable name and not the other products that have a
different executable name (Aptana? Dart?). Still, that would mean most
people won't have to apply a workaround manually which is a big win IMO.
I just need a few spare hours to verify all this and push a fix ;)

Packages, which is subscribed to eclipse in Ubuntu.

  Eclipse menus doesn't show up in Saucy

Status in “eclipse” package in Ubuntu:
  Triaged
Status in “unity-gtk-module” package in Ubuntu:

  ****************
  HOW TO REPRODUCE
  ****************

  1. Run Eclipse.
  2. Move the cursor to the top of the screen.
  3. Click on any of the menu items (File, Edit, Navigate, ...)

  ******************
  EXPECTED BEHAVIOUR
  ******************

  - The content of the submenus show up.

  **************
  REAL BEHAVIOUR
  **************

  - Only the top-level headers are available.
  - Nothing happens when clicking on them
  - They don't show up in the HUD either.

  ***********
  WORK-AROUND
  ***********

  To modify "/usr/share/applications/eclipse.desktop" to look like this:

  [Desktop Entry]
  Type=Application
  Name=Eclipse
  Comment=Eclipse Integrated Development Environment
  Icon=eclipse
  Exec=env UBUNTU_MENUPROXY= eclipse
  Terminal=false
  Categories=Development;IDE;Java;

  ****************
  RELEVANT DETAILS
  ****************

  - Doesn't affect Ubuntu releases prior to 13.10.

  **************
  TECHNICAL INFO

  Package: eclipse 3.8.1-1ubuntu1
  Uname: Linux 3.10.0-6-generic i686
  ApportVersion: 2.11-0ubuntu1
  Architecture: i386
  Date: Sat Aug  3 17:03:55 2013
  InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 13.10 "Saucy Salamander" - Alpha i386 (20130708)
  MarkForUpload: True
  PackageArchitecture: all
  SourcePackage: eclipse