No crashes/freezes, thanks to 8 GBytes of RAM most likely, but I have
the exact same issue and the menus take forever to load and about an
entire second to render.

I also checked if it makes a difference if I'm editing a huge file or
something blank. It doesn't seem that way.

This also appeared with 13.10 - I'm on 64bit too.

Packages, which is subscribed to gimp in Ubuntu.

  Menus are very slow to load

Status in “gimp” package in Ubuntu:

  When trying to use menu (File - Edit - Select - etc) it takes at time
  over 10 sec to appear and further 3-5sec to load the drop down menus.
  Often when switching from another program the previous program is
  still there. This does not happen in other programs. This happens with
  one small file and with many big files open in Gimp. Gimp used to be
  nice and fast, even in 13.10. Not sure which update caused it to slow
  down, been running 13.10 beta for a while.

  Shortcuts work just fine, I just can't remember them all and therefore
  has to use the menu.

  Package: gimp 2.8.6-1ubuntu1
  NonfreeKernelModules: nvidia wl
  ApportVersion: 2.12.5-0ubuntu2.1