Hi,
I'm running thunderbird 7 from ppa on Natty and I have the same problem!

When I try to send an email from libreoffice evolution is opened despite
the fact that I have thunderbird as my default email application.

  LibreOffice ignores default email client

Status in “libreoffice” package in Ubuntu:

  LibreOffice has many email features in File > Send. However
  LibreOffice ignores that I have a default email client (Thunderbird).
  When I try to send a document as an email I get the following error:

  LibreOffice 3.4
  LibreOffice was unable to find a working e-mail configuration. Please save
this document locally instead and attach it from within your email client.

  LibreOffice lacks integration into the Ubuntu desktop. Ideally using
  this feature would check the default email application (System >
  Settings > System > Info > Default Applications) and use the preferred
  email client to send an email with the attachment.

  Package: libreoffice (not installed)
  Uname: Linux 3.0.0-10-generic i686
  NonfreeKernelModules: wl
  Architecture: i386