** Changed in: gnome-control-center (Ubuntu)

  no easy way to disable screensaver on 12.04 without installing
  additional tools

Status in “gnome-control-center” package in Ubuntu:

  I think this got fixed in some later version, but 12.04 is supposed to
  be LTS, right? So unless I misunderstand the meaning of the S in the
  acronym, the fix needs to be made available to 12.04 via updates.

  Here's the issue:
  have a fresh install of 12.04. After a given time of inactivity, the screen
turns off; then screen locks when you wake it up, it asks for the password.

  I've done BOTH these:
  - System Settings > Brightness and Lock >
    * Turn off screen when inactive for: Never
    * Lock: off
    * Lock screen after: screen turns off (this should be irrelevant given
"Lock: off"; actually, this should be greyed out. Fail.)
    * I've deselected the checkbox "ask for password when waking from suspend"
(btw, why is this here?? These settings are supposed to be about screen
locking, not suspend, so either this option description is misleading or this
is in the wrong place and should be in Settings > Power wher the option whether
to suspend is. What a chaos!)

  - System Settings > Power (btw, it's stupid that this and the above are
separate. I think this got fixed too in more recent versions. Why the hell
don't these fix get backported to the current LTS version? Anyway)
    * Suspend when inactive for: Never

  Yet, screen STILL TURNS OFF after some time of inactivity. The only thing
that has changed is that it doesn't ask me for the password now (I guess it
doesn't lock screen any more). But it still turns off screen.

  There are a number of answers on AskUbuntu suggesting to install
  configuration tools that will allow you to disable the turning off of
  screen, but it's simply RIDICULOUS that (a) there are two separate
  settings for the same thing and (b) you need to install extra packages
  just tu disable such a basic trivial system setting.

  Package: unity 5.20.0-0ubuntu2
  ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 3.8.0-32.47~precise1-generic 3.8.13.10
  Uname: Linux 3.8.0-32-generic i686
  ApportVersion: 2.0.1-0ubuntu17.5
  Architecture: i386
  CompizPlugins: No value set for
`/apps/compiz-1/general/screen0/options/active_plugins'