Yes but that idle lock feature doesn't work and cannot be trusted. It would
be like saying trust SSL but its using a NULL cipher...

--
Kristian Erik Hermansen
https://www.linkedin.com/in/kristianhermansen
On Nov 4, 2013 8:55 PM, "encompass" <encomp...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I totally disagree.
> The computer should lock automatically when idle.  Instead of solving the
> problem you want to get rid of the feature.
> There are times when people are distracted and walk away from the
> computer.  If someone wanted to be malicious this would be their
> opportunity. Just do a little "Kevin Mitnik" and your in.
>

> On Tue, Nov 5, 2013 at 4:08 AM, Kristian Erik Hermansen <
> kristian.herman...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Tony -- exactly! Perfect analysis. Its a false sense of security which
> > should be abolished or rectified.
> >
> > --
> > Kristian Erik Hermansen
> > https://www.linkedin.com/in/kristianhermansen
> > https://profiles.google.com/kristian.hermansen
> > On Nov 4, 2013 5:30 PM, "Tony" <49...@bugs.launchpad.net> wrote:
> >
> > > I don't have a problem with manually locking the screen, especially as
> > > have worked in secure Defence facilities where that is standard
> > > pracrtice.
> > >
> > > But I do have a problem with a software interface that falsely claims
> > > provide a facility which in fact doesn't work correctly if at all.
> > >
> > > To eliminate the immediate problem, distros could get rid of the broken
> > > "Lock" setting from the settings menu, and instead just add a notice
> > > that CTRL-ALT-L (or whatever) will lock the screen.
> > >
> > > The security issue is not that there isn't an effective automatic lock,
> > > but that the software creates a false and misleading impression that
> > > such a facility exists. That part of the problem could surely be fixed
> > > easily by changing the setting dialog box as suggested.
> > >
> > > My programming days are long over (anyone remember assembly language?),
> > > and I don't know what is involved in removing the "Lock" setting from
> > > the Screensaver/Lock dialog box. If I did know, I'd do it myself.
> > >
> > > --
> > > You received this bug notification because you are subscribed to a
> > > duplicate bug report (1226854).
> > > https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/49579
> > >
> > > Title:
> > >   screen doesn't lock when some menu is open
> > >
> > > To manage notifications about this bug go to:
> > >

> > --
> > You received this bug notification because you are subscribed to a
> > duplicate bug report (139405).
> > https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/49579
> >
> > Title:
> >   screen doesn't lock when some menu is open
> >
> > To manage notifications about this bug go to:
> >

> --
> You received this bug notification because you are subscribed to a
> duplicate bug report (1226854).
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/49579
>
> Title:
>   screen doesn't lock when some menu is open
>
> To manage notifications about this bug go to:

Packages, which is subscribed to gnome-screensaver in Ubuntu.

  screen doesn't lock when some menu is open

Status in GNOME Screensaver:
  Confirmed
Status in OEM Priority Project:
  Won't Fix
Status in OEM Priority Project precise series:
  Won't Fix
Status in X.Org X server:
  Confirmed
Status in “gnome-screensaver” package in Ubuntu:
  Triaged
Status in “gnome-screensaver” source package in Precise:
  Confirmed
Status in “xorg-server” package in Debian:

  Binary package hint: gnome-screensaver

  I'm running a fresh install of Dapper with screensaver set to 'blank
  screen', and 'lock screen when screensaver is active' enabled.

  If a panel menu (e.g. Applications) is open and the machine is left
  idle, the screen fails to lock. It fades out after the time period as
  expected, but the desktop reappears after a few seconds.

  Ben (comments / criticism welcome, this is my first bug report)