Status changed to 'Confirmed' because the bug affects multiple users.

** Changed in: network-manager (Ubuntu)
       Status: New => Confirmed

-- 
You received this bug notification because you are a member of Desktop
Packages, which is subscribed to network-manager in Ubuntu.
https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1245986

Title:
  users should define wifi net preference, defaulting to heuristics

Status in “network-manager” package in Ubuntu:
  Confirmed

Bug description:
  I'm at a hotel.  There's a strong network AP in this room that my org
  owns, and a weaker hotel wifi AP elsewhere.

  Before my org convened, I connected to the hotel wifi, so it's in the
  list of SSIDs that I automatically connect to.  I would rather connect
  to my org's wifi in almost all cases. But, that doesn't happen, and it
  connects to the unwanted hotel Wifi AP.  I should be able to order the
  SSIDs that I will automatically connect to my dragging them in the
  list and a lower network should never be used if a higher is
  available.

  So, in picking a network to connect to, we should try each in order of
  user-defined preference and abandon any that are below some threshold
  of usefulness.

  Additionally, if nothing more-preferred is available, pick among
  crypto'd networks, abandoning too weak.

  Then pick according to strength if everything else is equal.

  
  I describe best in code...

  order_of_preference = sorted(((net.user_defined_order if net.strength
  > epsilon else INFINITY), (0 if net.has_crypto else 1), net.strength,
  net) for net in network_list)

  net_to_use = order_of_preference[0][3]

  ProblemType: Bug
  DistroRelease: Ubuntu 13.10
  Package: network-manager 0.9.8.0-0ubuntu22
  ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 3.11.0-9.16-generic 3.11.2
  Uname: Linux 3.11.0-9-generic i686
  ApportVersion: 2.12.5-0ubuntu2.1
  Architecture: i386
  Date: Tue Oct 29 13:29:36 2013
  IpRoute:
   default via 10.155.32.1 dev wlan0  proto static 
   10.155.32.0/19 dev wlan0  proto kernel  scope link  src 10.155.51.98  metric 
9
  MarkForUpload: True
  NetworkManager.state:
   [main]
   NetworkingEnabled=true
   WirelessEnabled=true
   WWANEnabled=true
  SourcePackage: network-manager
  UpgradeStatus: Upgraded to saucy on 2009-03-27 (1677 days ago)
  WpaSupplicantLog:
   
  nmcli-dev:
   DEVICE     TYPE              STATE         DBUS-PATH                         
         
   wlan0      802-11-wireless   connected     
/org/freedesktop/NetworkManager/Devices/1  
   eth0       802-3-ethernet    unavailable   
/org/freedesktop/NetworkManager/Devices/0
  nmcli-nm:
   RUNNING         VERSION    STATE           NET-ENABLED   WIFI-HARDWARE   
WIFI       WWAN-HARDWARE   WWAN      
   running         0.9.8.0    connected       enabled       enabled         
enabled    enabled         disabled

To manage notifications about this bug go to:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/network-manager/+bug/1245986/+subscriptions

-- 
Mailing list: https://launchpad.net/~desktop-packages
Post to     : [email protected]
Unsubscribe : https://launchpad.net/~desktop-packages
More help   : https://help.launchpad.net/ListHelp

Reply via email to