version of Java selected in LibreOffice is 1.8.0-ea (Oracle Java 8).

  soffice.bin crashed with SIGABRT in os::shutdown() LibreOffice
  crashes, then restores a backup file several days old

Status in “libreoffice” package in Ubuntu:

  I reported a similar crash 4 days ago here --
  https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/libreoffice/+bug/1174595 --
  but the bug was closed because Apport wasn't correctly uploading crash
  information. I've since commented out the offending line in Apport.

  A few days ago while using a calc spreadsheet, LibreOffice crashed,
  and when I opened it again, it restored a backup file that was several
  hours old. It also restored an old version of a Writer file. I closed
  both and found that in both instances I had saved much more recent
  versions using ctrl-S.

  Today the same thing happened, but unfortunately it was much worse,
  recovering a backup file that was several days old. Because of these
  frequent crashes, I've gotten into the habit of hitting Ctrl-S non-
  stop, and I immediately did so and saved the document. That one move
  lost me all my writing over the past 3 days, and the file immediately
  synched to Ubuntu One so my own backup no longer exists.

  Strangely, in the same crash LibreOffice restored the most recent
  edits of another file I had recently edited. So even within the same
  crash it doesn't revert all documents to very old versions.

  Please fix this--I really can't use LibreOffice if the backup function
  destroys my work despite my constant saving and backing up to Ubuntu
  One.

  ProblemType: Crash
  DistroRelease: Ubuntu 13.04
  Package: libreoffice-core 1:4.0.2-0ubuntu1
  Uname: Linux 3.8.0-20-generic i686
  ApportVersion: 2.9.2-0ubuntu8
  Architecture: i386