** Also affects: duplicity (Ubuntu Lucid)

** Also affects: duplicity (Ubuntu Precise)

** Also affects: duplicity (Ubuntu Raring)

** Also affects: duplicity (Ubuntu Saucy)

** Also affects: duplicity (Ubuntu Quantal)

Packages, which is subscribed to duplicity in Ubuntu.

  Possible data loss when restarting in the middle of a deleted file

Status in Duplicity - Bandwidth Efficient Encrypted Backup:
  Fix Committed
Status in “duplicity” package in Ubuntu:
  New
Status in “duplicity” source package in Lucid:
  New
Status in “duplicity” source package in Precise:
  New
Status in “duplicity” source package in Quantal:
  New
Status in “duplicity” source package in Raring:
  New
Status in “duplicity” source package in Saucy:

  This was recently fixed in duplicity trunk.  But I'm filing a bug for
  paperwork purposes and for Ubuntu SRUs.

  [Impact]

  When restarting a backup, duplicity may accidentally skip the first
  65k chunk of one of the source files.  This means that when it is
  restored, it will be incomplete/corrupted, resulting in data loss.

  [Test Case]

  mkdir /tmp/source
  dd if=/dev/urandom of=/tmp/source/bigfile bs=1024 count=5000
  # This next command will intentionally fail after the second volume!
  duplicity --no-encryption full /tmp/source file:///tmp/backup --vol 1 --fail 2
  mv /tmp/source/bigfile /tmp/source/newfile
  duplicity --no-encryption full /tmp/source file:///tmp/backup
  duplicity --no-encryption restore file:///tmp/backup /tmp/restore
  # This next line will say the files differ if the bug is present
  diff /tmp/source/newfile /tmp/restore/newfile

  [Regression Potential]

  It's a relatively small patch, only affecting the specific case of
  restarting a backup when the file we were in the middle of is no
  longer there.  I'd say minor regression potential.