I do not think there is some piece of information that is obviously
missing.

However, please note that I did no want to imply that someone is
actually working on this -- as that would be outright untrue.

Packages, which is subscribed to simple-scan in Ubuntu.

  scanning with sane net backend gives "maximum amount of allocated
  memory exceeded"

Status in Simple Scan:
  Triaged
Status in “simple-scan” package in Ubuntu:

  Device: Epson Perfection 3490 (connected via sane net backend)

  Scanning works via sane and xsane. When trying to scan with simple-
  scan, I get:

  [sanei_wire] sanei_w_array: DECODE: maximum amount of allocated memory
  exceeded (limit: 1048576, new allocation: 3220728352, total:
  3221776928 bytes)

  and a dialog saying:
  "Username and password required to access
'net:hostname.local:sane_control_option(handle=%p,option=%d,action=%d,value=%p,info=%p)'"

  with xsane, no username/password is needed and it should work without.