This is similar from the dash (rhythmbox open - dash plays a file,
otherwise it just opens rhythmbox). It seems rhythmbox-client is called
and it spawns rhythmbox but it does not wait enough to pass the file to
be played to the freshly started Rhythmbox. See bug 1201016 for details.

Packages, which is subscribed to rhythmbox in Ubuntu.

  Rhythmbox doesn't (always) play when started from indicator

Status in “rhythmbox” package in Ubuntu:

  Motivation: Just logged onto computer, need music to work by.

  Logon to Ubuntu
  Press 'Play' media key on the keyboard
  Observe Rhythmbox doesn't open

  Press 'Play' button in the sound indicator
  Observe Rhythmbox opens but doesn't play (the point of pressing 'play' is to
play music)

  Press 'Play' media key on keyboard or 'Play' icon in sound indicator
  and rhthmbox starts playing.

  Close rhythmbox
  Press 'Play' media key on the keyboard
  Observe Rhythmbox doesn't open

  Press 'Play' button in the sound indicator
  Observe Rhythmbox opens but this time _does_ play.

  So basically the 'play' button doesn't do what I expect it to do,
  until I have already opened rhythmbox.

  This video shows it:-

  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rI6Dn8p17mQ

  Package: rhythmbox 2.96-0ubuntu3