Evince doesn't always work. I'm currently trying to read the HP Procurve
Release Notes of a switch we have, and the PDF will only give the 'upgrade to
acrobat 9' image, and there is only one thumbnail at the left, that leads back
to this image.
Acrobat 9 itself meanwhile only shows a completly black page, so is also no use.
The only way I could actually read the document was by using pdf2ps and the gv.
Try the 'Release Notes' link at the top of this page:
https://h10145.www1.hp.com/downloads/SoftwareReleases.aspx?ProductNumber=J9641A

Packages, which is subscribed to evince in Ubuntu.

  Need to add support for PDF Portfolios

Status in “evince” package in Ubuntu:

  I recently ran into something I haven't seen before when someone sent
  me a PDF Portfolio
  (http://help.adobe.com/en_US/Acrobat/9.0/Standard/WSA2872EA8-9756
  -4a8c-9F20-8E93D59D91CE.html). Evince doesn't know what to do with the
  file and seems to open it incorrectly. I just get an onscreen message
  to install Adobe Acrobat 9 (attached image).

  Looks like Ocular is on the way to a solution:
  http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-software-2/pdf-
  portfolio-833748/ and http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=9981196

  (Adobe Reader 9 installed via Software Center doesn't seem to open
  more than the first embedded PDF)