Public bug reported:

Looking at /usr/share/X11/xkb/symbols/macintosh_vndr/de (Ubuntu Saucy)
one difference to the original mac os x I notice is that the ~ key
(n+rigth alt) is a dead key on Mac OS X so that one easily can create
the ñ character. Should maybe line 47 be changed from:

    key <AB06> {        [         n,    N, asciitilde
]       };

to:

    key <AB06> {        [         n,    N, dead_tilde
]       };

And then further down in the nodeadkey version add the line

    key <AB06> {        [         n,    N, asciitilde                   ]
};

I noticed that here on ubuntu saucy, these definitions are for some
reason additionally present in /usr/share/X11/xkb/symbols/de so they
need to be changed both places.

** Affects: xkeyboard-config (Ubuntu)

Packages, which is subscribed to xkeyboard-config in Ubuntu.

  german mac keyboard layout uses asciitilde instead of dead_tilde

Status in “xkeyboard-config” package in Ubuntu: