In 13.10 on an Aspire laptop with an HDMI attached 1920x1280 monitor the
background on one or the other comes up blank depending upon how I set
the monitor positions. When side by side with the laptop to the right,
it is the laptop screen that comes up blank. Gkrellm is supposed to come
up on the top right hand corner of the laptop screen but instead it is
in the top left of the external monitor. -- Behavior not evident in
previous versions.

I find I can fix the background situation by changing the background,
Going to a terminal session and doing a restart lightdm also works. I'll
try the init script suggestions provided here to see what happens.

Packages, which is subscribed to lightdm in Ubuntu.

  lightdm tries (and fails) to start too early?

Status in Upstart:
  Confirmed
Status in “lightdm” package in Ubuntu:

  Sometimes lightdm comes up fine.  Other times it appears to fail.
  x-0.log shows it tried to load 'nv' (rather than 'nvidia' which is
  what actually exists).  When I then log into console and 'start
  lightdm', it comes up fine (on :1).

  I've not had it come up ok today, so I don't know if, when it comes up
  fine, it starts on :0.  No idea if the lightdm.conf needs a change to
  'start on'clause, or if this is just a case of a bad shipped config
  file (for module 'nv').

  Package: lightdm 1.1.9-0ubuntu1
  NonfreeKernelModules: nvidia
  ApportVersion: 2.0-0ubuntu1
  Architecture: amd64
  Date: Fri Mar 30 13:40:27 2012
  InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 12.04 LTS "Precise Pangolin" - Alpha amd64
(20120323)
  ProcEnviron:
   TERM=xterm
   PATH=(custom, user)