SOLVED!

Bug closed - stupid me...
What happened was due to two things, I guess.
(1) The unorthodox location of Tunderbird Profile.
(2) *.wav file association was broken, probably because I removed distro based
music player.

Solution:
(a) Right clicked on a wav file, Properties, and set "Open with" to VLC media
player.
(b) In Thunderbird and Lightnin Edit Preferences Browse and point back again to
my chosen sound file.

Tested and it works.

Hope it'll help someone,

jankom

** Changed in: thunderbird (Ubuntu)

Packages, which is subscribed to thunderbird in Ubuntu.

  Thunderbird Lightning no sound

Status in “thunderbird” package in Ubuntu:
  Opinion

Bug description:
  Cannot activate sound alerts in Xubuntu 12.04 installation of
  Tunderbird 24.1.0. I googled and checked ubuntu forums.  Lightning
  2.6.2 is also installed, but calendar sound notification is silent.
  Same with 24.1.1 and 2.6.3.  No answer in Ubuntu Launchpad questions
  forum (expired open after 15 days), and no answer in Mozilla "Get
  Satisfaction" forum. Sound works in VVindooz...