cups-filters 1.0.43 (with the fix) released upstream.

Packages, which is subscribed to cups-filters in Ubuntu.

  pdftopdf doesn't perform software collate

Status in “cups-filters” package in Ubuntu:
  Fix Committed

Bug description:
  Pages printed are not collated when I print a document with multiple
  copies set and Collate option enabled on a printer without hardware
  collate support.

  Printer is Samsung ML-2950.

  Operating systems affected are: Linux Mint 16, Ubuntu 13.04

  CUPS filters pipe for printing a test text file is the following:

  D [09/Dec/2013:14:34:00 +0400] [Job 16] texttopdf (text/plain to
application/pdf, cost 32)
  D [09/Dec/2013:14:34:00 +0400] [Job 16] pdftopdf (application/pdf to
application/vnd.cups-pdf, cost 66)
  D [09/Dec/2013:14:34:00 +0400] [Job 16] gstoraster (application/vnd.cups-pdf
to application/vnd.cups-raster, cost 99)
  D [09/Dec/2013:14:34:00 +0400] [Job 16] rastertospl
(application/vnd.cups-raster to printer/test, cost 0)

  rastertospl is proprietary filter, which converts CUPS raster data to
  Samsung's SPL PDL.

  PPD file is attached.

  Further investigation has shown, that pdftopdf filter does not perform
  software document copy generation with my PPD file set in environment
  variable PPD, its output contains a single copy, but resulting CUPS
  raster contains information about multiple copies and rastertospl
  generates SPL output with mutiple copies for each page (uncollated).

  pstops filter, started with the same CUPS job options set and multi-
  page PostScript input, generates PostScript output with properly
  collated pages.

  pdftopdf has been executed with following parameters:

  /usr/lib/cups/filter/pdftopdf 1 user "test" 2 "Collate" texttopdf.pdf
  > pdftopdf.pdf

  When I start pdftopdf with the same parameters, but with PPD
  environment variable unset, it generates PDF file with document copies
  created.

  When I modify PPD file by changing *cupsManualCopy attribute value to
  True, pdftopdf produces collated output.

  This printer supports hardware page copies, but does not support
  collate in hardware.

  It seems that pdftopdf filter logic used to determine collate method
  does not handle this case correctly.