Hello, I can confirm this. I tried creating a LUKS+Ext4 partition on an
external hard-drive, using the nautilus integration. I am on Ubuntu 13.10,
64-bit.
I am able to:
- select the drive (to select "Format...")
- select the filesystem type (LUKS+Ext4)
- choose a password
- re-enter it correctly
- click on the "Format" box.

A dialog then tells me that if I proceed all the data in the disk will
be lost (as it should be), so I proceed. But then, nothing happens! No
error dialog, no confirmation dialog, nothing whatsoever...

However, using the gnome disk utilities I have no problem, and the
formatting is a success.

Packages, which is subscribed to gnome-disk-utility in Ubuntu.

  the format, it does nothing!

Status in “gnome-disk-utility” package in Ubuntu:

  I recently bought a new USB thumb drive, and popped it in to my
  computer to LUKS it up.  I clicked the little "eject" sigil next to
  its name in nautilus, and then right-clicked on its sidebar entry and
  chose "format".  I get asked all the relevant information, and I click
  format.  Then I confirm.

    The rest is silence.

  I'm not sure why nothing happens, exactly, but I can't find any new
  icons on my unity dock thingy, can't find any mkfs processes running,
  and in fact basically the request to format seems to have actually
  been completely ignored.

  Same thing happens when I choose pure ext4 without the LUKS crypto.

  Package: nautilus 1:3.8.2-0ubuntu2
  ApportVersion: 2.12.5-0ubuntu2.1
  Architecture: amd64
  Date: Sat Oct 26 09:27:57 2013
  EcryptfsInUse: Yes
  GsettingsChanges:
   b'org.gnome.nautilus.window-state' b'geometry' b"'813x712+153+124'"
   b'org.gnome.nautilus.window-state' b'sidebar-width' b'197'
  MarkForUpload: True
  SourcePackage: nautilus
  UpgradeStatus: Upgraded to saucy on 2013-09-17 (38 days ago)