On 13.10, the 100% reset over reboot happens also on hdmi out on  AMD/ATI
Wrestler HDMI Audio Radeon HD 7340.
But the volume setting is kept properly across sessions without reboot.
Does anyone know the name of the file where this volume info is stored upon
shutdown ?
The user session info seems to be stored in ~/.config/pulse

Packages, which is subscribed to pulseaudio in Ubuntu.

  sound volume always resets to 100% after reboot

Status in One Hundred Papercuts:
  Invalid
Status in “pulseaudio” package in Ubuntu:

  Every time I reboot I get the sound volume back to 100%, but the sound
  works fine apart from this. It's just *very* annoying to have to reset
  the volume every time I boot the PC. I set the volume from the volume
  icon in the system tray. I have two sound cards installed on my system
  (one on the motherboard and a SB Audigy), but I'm using only the
  Audigy. Another thing is that the mixer applet often incorrectly shows
  volume as muted when it's not.

  I'm using the hardy beta (hardy-desktop-amd64) from march 19th 2008.