The currently under-development 3.13 upstream kernel enables DPM by
default (without needing the radeon.dpm=1 boot parameter I mentioned
above) for Radeon HD 4000 through Radeon HD 7000 series graphics
processors but with some specific ASICs being excluded.

Packages, which is subscribed to xserver-xorg-video-ati in Ubuntu.

  temperature overheating of cpu and radeon in 12.10 and above

Status in “xserver-xorg-video-ati” package in Ubuntu:

  13.04 Ubuntustudio 64 bit

  under moderate load temperature is around 81c

  under high load (playing video inside a virtualbox) temperature hit
  94c....  at which point I turned it off

  I have tested this with all 3 of the radeon drivers, with no
  significant difference.

  The radeon temp is always about 2-3 degrees hotter than the rest, so
  suspect that is souce of problem.

  10.10  does not have this problem at all
  12.04  runs 5-10 degrees hotter on average than does 10.10

  but starting with 12.10 the temperature gets unusably hot

  Package: linux-image-3.8.0-14-lowlatency 3.8.0-14.9
  ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 3.8.0-14.9-lowlatency 3.8.4
  Uname: Linux 3.8.0-14-lowlatency x86_64
  CasperVersion: 1.330