Ubuntu 13.10 with a simlpified version of #14 partially "fixes" Lenovo
ThinkPad Edge E531.

Section "InputClass"
        Identifier "touchpad"
        MatchProduct "SynPS/2 Synaptics TouchPad"
        Driver "synaptics"

        # increment noise cancellation factor
        Option "HorizHysteresis" "50"
        Option "VertHysteresis" "50"
EndSection

The mouse behaves a bit strange, not good, but better than before. A
hysteresis value above 50 makes it even worse (in another aspect) than
it was before... Seems like this particular xorg-drug comes with a side-
effect ;)

The E531 has a clickpad (i.e. it has its physical button under the
finger-sensitivt part of the touchpad). The only way to right-click is
to use this pad -.- The lack of precision affects the right click
context menus, without the fix above right-clicking always opened some
alternative in the right-click menu, often the first. Now, it doesn't
click anything most of the time, but sometimes it does hit the first
one. Left-clicking is also affected, but there is the alternative of
tapping for these clicks.

Some walkarounds that really don't fix the problem:
* Only use tapping. Only works for left-click.
* Set AreaBottomEdge - cannot set for only right-click, has to take the whole
bottom edge. Might work for you.
* Change the theme, some have had success with adding a non-clickable border
around all context menus, effectively moving the menu way off the mouse so you
don't accidentally click it.

I think what we really need is a ClickHysteresis, so that the mouse
doesn't move when clicking the clickpad (both left and right click).

Maybe we should open a new bug for this issue? I think we could have two
very similar bugs in one thread here.

Packages, which is subscribed to xserver-xorg-input-synaptics in Ubuntu.

  Jumpy Mouse Cursor using Thinkpad X230 (+X230t) Touchpad

Status in “xserver-xorg-input-synaptics” package in Ubuntu:

  Really annoying bug!

  Trackpoint moves the mouse cursor smootly,
  when using the touchpad i have a jumpy cursor. (vertically it moves fine,
horizontally it moves always 4 pixels at once).

  Please see the following demonstration video:
  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XUVRKFUsAmc

  Package: xserver-xorg-input-synaptics 1.6.2-1ubuntu4
  Date: Mon Aug 27 08:08:27 2012
  InstallationMedia: Kubuntu 12.10 "Quantal Quetzal" - Alpha amd64 (20120824)
  ProcEnviron:
   LANGUAGE=
   TERM=xterm
   PATH=(custom, no user)
   LANG=de_DE.UTF-8
   SHELL=/bin/bash
  SourcePackage: xserver-xorg-input-synaptics