It left me in the dark too (booting to text mode console) and i lost 3 hours 
looking for the problem.
At first my solution was to manually load the nvidia-331 module with modprobe 
and then I found this bug report sating that bumblebee blacklists the nvidia 
drivers.

Uninstalling (apt-get remove) doesn't remove
/etc/modprobe.d/bumblebee.conf but purging does (apt-get remove
--purge).

Now I'm wondering what will happen to not so tech savy users...
In systems without dual graphics it prevents X from loading at all and even 
using ppa-purge to remove xorg-edgers packages does nothing (it was my first 
try) as /etc/modprobe.d/bumblebee.conf is still left behind.

-- 
You received this bug notification because you are a member of Desktop
Packages, which is subscribed to nvidia-graphics-drivers-331 in Ubuntu.
https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1265570

Title:
  nvidia-331 update installs bumblebee [xorg-edgers]

Status in “nvidia-graphics-drivers-331” package in Ubuntu:
  Confirmed

Bug description:
  Hi xorg-edgers team,

  I just got the nvidia-331 update, from nvidia-319, but the update
  installs bumblebee, however when bumblebee is installed it blacklists
  the nvidia kernel modules.  Which bumblebee is suppossed to do but it
  breaks xorg if you aren't running an optimus based GPU.  Uninstalling
  bumblebee does not remove the /etc/modprobe.d/bumblebee.conf config
  file and as such the driver is still blacklisted until you either
  modify the file to not black list the nvidia-331 module or remove
  bumblebee.conf.  I have an nvidia 560 GTX video card.

  Tareeq

To manage notifications about this bug go to:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/nvidia-graphics-drivers-331/+bug/1265570/+subscriptions

-- 
Mailing list: https://launchpad.net/~desktop-packages
Post to     : [email protected]
Unsubscribe : https://launchpad.net/~desktop-packages
More help   : https://help.launchpad.net/ListHelp

Reply via email to