Correction: it works for some settings on the clock tab. It seems to
work for "Seconds", but not for "Weekday" or "Date and month". Perhaps
it's because the seconds setting changes the time part of the clock?

Packages, which is subscribed to gnome-panel in Ubuntu.

  Clock gets stuck on time zone change

Status in “gnome-panel” package in Ubuntu:

  Apologies if this is reported against the wrong package; feel free to
  reassign it.

  When changing time zone in Ubuntu 13.10, the clock gets stuck on the
  old time.

  Yesterday evening I travelled from Manaus to Rio de Janeiro, which is
  a two hour time zone change to the east. At 20:40 Manaus time, I
  clicked on the clock on the Gnome panel, selected "Date & Time
  settings...", and clicked on where Rio de Janeiro is on the world map.
  It automatically selected Sao Paulo, which I guess is the closest
  place it has data for. I then closed the Time & Date window. The clock
  should then have changed to 22:40 (as it would have in Ubuntu 13.04),
  but instead stayed stuck on 20:40. Right now (11:30 Rio time the
  following day), the clock in the Gnome panel still says "20:40".
  Running the date command in a terminal produces the correct time:

  $ date
  Tue Oct 22 11:30:42 BRST 2013

  so it's definitely a problem with the Gnome clock applet rather than
  the system time.

  Package: gnome-panel 1:3.6.2-0ubuntu15
  Uname: Linux 3.11.0-12-generic i686
  NonfreeKernelModules: nvidia
  ApportVersion: 2.12.5-0ubuntu2
  Architecture: i386
  Date: Tue Oct 22 11:23:20 2013
  GsettingsChanges:

  InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 9.10 "Karmic Koala" - Release i386 (20091028.5)
  MarkForUpload: True
  SourcePackage: gnome-panel
  UpgradeStatus: Upgraded to saucy on 2013-10-12 (10 days ago)