Yes, this actually still a problem in 12.04. Not sure why upstream
closed this.

** Changed in: network-manager (Ubuntu)

  wrong mtu value on dsl connection

Status in NetworkManager:
  Expired
Status in “network-manager” package in Ubuntu:

  Binary package hint: network-manager

  i am using pppoe connection for internet. however, i cant visit some
  sites and i cannot use pidgin for msn on 9.04 due to wrong mtu value
  for ppp0. network manager sets 1492 as mtu value for dsl connections.
  if i use pppoeconf instead of network manager to set my connection, it
  gives 1488 and everything works as expected. i am now manually setting
  mtu with ifconfig ppp0 mtu 1488 everytime a make a connection.

  and also trying to set the mtu value for my dsl connection with the
  gui of network-manager does not work, and it gives 1492 all time.

  this was not a problem with 8.10, and i am not the only person
  affected on my network.

  network-manager:
    Installed: 0.7.1~rc4.1.cf199a964-0ubuntu2