Okay this is interesting. If I start Gimp 2.8 and then open or import an
image to work on, it'll let me save to xcf or export no problem.

But if Gimp is invoked by right clicking on the image, that's when I can
immediately save.

So at least I have a workaround

Packages, which is subscribed to gimp in Ubuntu.

  GIMP 2.8 file save prevented regardless of permissions

Status in “gimp” package in Ubuntu:

  Since upgrading to Ubuntu 13.10 incrementally from 12.04 LTS, package
  system automatically introduced GIMP as 2.8

  BUG: When opening up a jpeg file in GIMP 2.8.6 to start editing,
  saving as existing or new file is impossible.

  Permissions: no indicator that this is a problem