I need a solution that doesn't involve reinstalling the entire operating
system.

Packages, which is subscribed to gstreamer1.0 in Ubuntu.

  gstreamer1.0 can't load plugins; all gstreamer applications broken

Status in “gstreamer1.0” package in Ubuntu:

  Although all plugins (-base, -good, -bad, -ugly, and some others) are
  installed, gst-inspect-1.0 only shows:

  :~$ gst-inspect-1.0
  coreelements:  valve: Valve element
  coreelements:  multiqueue: MultiQueue
  coreelements:  typefind: TypeFind
  coreelements:  tee: Tee pipe fitting
  coreelements:  filesink: File Sink
  coreelements:  queue2: Queue 2
  coreelements:  queue: Queue
  coreelements:  output-selector: Output selector
  coreelements:  input-selector: Input selector
  coreelements:  identity: Identity
  coreelements:  funnel: Funnel pipe fitting
  coreelements:  filesrc: File Source
  coreelements:  fdsink: Filedescriptor Sink
  coreelements:  fdsrc: Filedescriptor Source
  coreelements:  fakesink: Fake Sink
  coreelements:  fakesrc: Fake Source
  coreelements:  capsfilter: CapsFilter
  staticelements:  bin: Generic bin
  staticelements:  pipeline: Pipeline object

  Total count: 2 plugins, 19 features
  Segmentation fault (core dumped)

  No combination of installed or uninstalled gstreamer packages will
  change the output or prevent the segfault; I tried everything that apt
  would allow except removing the -base plugins because that would
  uninstall nearly every software package on the computer. I did try
  reinstalling -base et al, to no avail.

  Also tried rm -rf ~/.cache/gstreamer-1.0; no effect.

  No gstreamer applications are working (totem, brasero, rhythmbox,
  etc).

  gdb doesn't have much to say about the core dump:
  :~$ gdb --exec=gst-inspect-1.0 --core=core
  GNU gdb (GDB) 7.6.1-ubuntu
  and "show warranty" for details.
  This GDB was configured as "x86_64-linux-gnu".
  [New LWP 20049]

  warning: Can't read pathname for load map: Input/output error.
  Using host libthread_db library "/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libthread_db.so.1".
  Core was generated by `gst-inspect-1.0'.
  #0  0x0000000000000001 in ?? ()