On Windows 7 today's Firefox nightly. This install of Windows7 does not
have any additional fonts installed. As I recall my comment 3 I had a
system with the STIX fonts installed.

Firefox will use a proportional glyph if a monosapced glyph does not
exist on the system. This will cause the text document to have an odd
alignment on rows where Unicode monospaced glyphs do not exist on the
system.

I verified this assumption by opening the text document in Sublime text
editor. It shows many instances where Windows does not have the correct
monospaced glyph, it displays the Unicode missing glyph symbol rather
than doing fallback.

I believe that doing fallback is the better thing to do for web
browsers. Jonathan Kew would know for sure, or possibly there are older
bugs to reference? If people want monospaced line drawing to work they
should have a robust monospace font installed such as the ones provided
by the STIX project.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/stixfonts/files/latest/download
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/STIX_Fonts_project
http://www.stixfonts.org/

  Unicode combining characters don't combine properly.

Status in The Mozilla Firefox Browser:
  New
Status in “firefox” package in Ubuntu:
  Invalid

Bug description:
  Binary package hint: firefox

  Load this Unicode test page:

  http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~mgk25/ucs/examples/UTF-8-demo.txt

  Scroll down to "Combining characters". The accents will appear to the
  right of the characters they're meant to appear directly over.

  I'm running firefox 1.5.dfsg+1.5.0.4-0ubuntu6.06 on Ubuntu Dapper.