Someone should start fixing this bug, I tested latest Ubuntu 14.04 live iso and
the bug still exists.
I reproduced the bug by opening dash, draging app icon above search bar so the
launcher hides, and droping it on the desktop.

  Drag and drop from Dash to Desktop doesn't work on Ubuntu 13.10

Status in Unity:
  Triaged
Status in Unity 7.1 series:
  Triaged
Status in “nautilus” package in Ubuntu:

  When you try to drag and drop an app from Dash (both from app lens and
  home lens) system display an error and the shortcut isn't created.

  The error is:
  Error while copying - There was an error getting information about "/".
  More details: The specified location is not supported

  Then there are four buttons: "Cancel" - "Skip all" - "Skip" - "Retry".

  Way to reproduce:
  - Open the dash
  - Drag an app icon and drop on desktop

  What happend: