Hi Kees, Till,

Currently HPLIP removes the other local hp queues ,which are not configured by
hp-setup, and creates using hp-setup.
Sorry for inconvenience caused. We are looking into this issue.

@Kees,
For a quick fix, please make following changes.

#--> take backup of /usr/share/hplip/config_usb_printer.py
$ sudo   cp    /usr/share/hplip/config_usb_printer.py
/usr/share/hplip/config_usb_printer.py_backup

#-->replace cups.delPrinter command with pass in config_usb_printer.py
$ sed    's/cups.delPrinter.*$/pass/'    /usr/share/hplip/config_usb_printer.py
 > /tmp/config_usb_printer.py
$ sudo   mv    /tmp/config_usb_printer.py
/usr/share/hplip/config_usb_printer.py

Thanks & Regards,
Amarnath

** Changed in: hplip

Packages, which is subscribed to hplip in Ubuntu.

  printer name changes when power cycled

Status in HP Linux Imaging and Printing:
  In Progress
Status in “hplip” package in Ubuntu:

  I have an HP LaserJet 1320. It's printer queue name is
  "LaserJet-1320". Prior to 13.10, things worked fine. Since 13.10, if I
  reboot the server or power cycle the printer, the printer queue name
  suddenly changes to "hp_LaserJet_1320" and all the network clients
  suddenly fail to print to it any more.

  The printer Device URL is defined using serial number, so it seems
  like cups (or hplip?) is failing to notice it's the same printer and
  the same queue:

  hp:/usb/hp_LaserJet_1320_series?serial=00JCPQ4D12RS