It seems that the behaviour desired by this bug is the default in Ubuntu
13.10.

Note too that there are people lobbying to be able to sleep on lid-close
only when no monitor is connected as well! See
http://askubuntu.com/q/362337/17164

When I move to my desk, I close the laptop and use a nice large monitor.
There does not seem to be an option to avoid sleeping on lid close when
an external monitor is connected any more.

Packages, which is subscribed to gnome-settings-daemon in Ubuntu.

  Laptop does not suspend on lid close when external display is
  connected

Status in “gnome-settings-daemon” package in Ubuntu:
  Invalid

Bug description:
  I've configured my laptop to suspend when the lid is closed (in gnome-
  control-center's Power panel). It works ok as long as there is no
  external display connected. However when I connect my external LCD,
  laptop IS NOT suspended (external display is turned off though).

  I've done some research and found out that problem is in gnome-
  settings-daemon package: There is code in gsd-power-manager.c in
  do_lid_closed_action function which checks whether there are any
  active external outputs and if it finds any, it prevents suspending. I
  believe that in this case we should honor what's set in gnome-control-
  center and suspend. Patch which removes this logic is attached.

  Package: gnome-settings-daemon 3.3.91-0ubuntu2 [modified:
usr/lib/gnome-settings-daemon-3.0/libpower.so]
  Date: Sat Mar 10 21:21:00 2012
  InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 12.04 LTS "Precise Pangolin" - Alpha amd64
(20120309)
  ProcEnviron:
   TERM=xterm
   LANG=en_US.UTF-8