Dear Bug Submitter,

Please read the entire message before proceeding.

This bug has been in NEEDINFO status with no change for at least 6
months. Please provide the requested information as soon as possible and
mark the bug as UNCONFIRMED. Due to regular bug tracker maintenance, if
the bug is still in NEEDINFO status with no change in 30 days the QA
team will close the bug as INVALID due to lack of needed information.

For more information about our NEEDINFO policy please read the wiki located
here:
https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/QA/FDO/NEEDINFO

If you have already provided the requested information, please mark the
bug as UNCONFIRMED so that the QA team knows that the bug is ready to be
confirmed.

Thank you for helping us make LibreOffice even better for everyone!

Warm Regards,
QA Team

  [Upstream] RTL (CTL) is expected to be enabled in all cases by RTL
  users

Status in LibreOffice Productivity Suite:
  Incomplete
Status in “libreoffice” package in Ubuntu:
  Won't Fix

Bug description:
  This is concerning the usability issue where an RTL user gets in front
  of LibreOffice and doesn't find the two directionality buttons in the
  toolbar (OMG!!!). He won't find them anywhere until he does 8 mouse
  clicks to turn the RTL feature on:

  Tools -> Options -> Language Settings -> Languages -> Enabled for
  complex text layout (CTL) -> CTL: <Language> -> OK

  My mom can't do this :-/ .

  This is how this happens:

  CTL is off by default in LibreOffice, and thus RTL is, too.

  As I've been briefed, this is how it gets turned on for RTL users
automatically:
  1. RTL locales
  2. A language support package of one of the RTL languages is installed

  The problem is that these two triggers for CTL don't cover all the
  situations where an RTL user runs LibreOffice.

  Many RTL users choose a non-RTL locale. They can also choose not to
  install any of the language support packages. The presence of an RTL
  language layout is all that indicates their RTL-ness :) Even when RTL
  users use a friend's/public computer as guests they expect the RTL
  buttons.

  Then, why make RTL off by default? Does it cost a lot of memory? Does
  it have bad Karma? :)

  The expectation to have those RTL buttons is because they seem to be
  always there in Microsoft Office since as far as I can remember. I
  never had to turn anything on. They were always there by default.

  In order to understand the severity of this issue, let me tell you
  what users do when they don't find those RTL buttons. They try to
  configure the toolbar, thinking that they must be disabled there. They
  find them enabled, actually. Although enabled in the toolbar, they
  don't appear :-O . After that they're quite lost so they might go to
  the correct Language Settings -> Languages configuration section.
  There, they will not find "RTL" or "Left to right". How would they
  know whether to enable the "Enhanced language support" for Asian
  languages or for Complex text layout? Most users would lose a few
  hairs by that point.

  Thanks and blessings,
  Shahar

  ProblemType: BugDistroRelease: Ubuntu 12.04
  Package: libreoffice (not installed)
  ApportVersion: 1.91-0ubuntu1
  Architecture: amd64
  CasperVersion: 1.304