Status changed to 'Confirmed' because the bug affects multiple users.

** Changed in: alacarte (Ubuntu)

Packages, which is subscribed to alacarte in Ubuntu.

  Alacarte forgets to put .png or .svg in Desktop Entry file name

Status in Alacarte Menu Editor:
  New
Status in “alacarte” package in Ubuntu:

  When you try to pick an icon for your custom item menu in Alacarte, it
  forgets to put .png or .svg in Desktop Entry file name, so in Unity or
  others menus the item menu icon does not appear.

  Example: Try to create an Nvidia Settings item menu (after install
  bumblebee)

  1. Open Alacarte
  2. Click in "System Settings" and click in "New Item"
  3. Name: "Nvidia Settings", Command: "optirun -b none nvidia-settings -c :8",
and Icon: /usr/share/pixmaps/nvidia-319-updates-settings.png
  4. Try to find in Unity, there is the entry, but no icon
  5. Open ~/.local/share/applications/alacarte-made.desktop
  6. Then in the Icon Entry: Icon=/usr/share/pixmaps/nvidia-319-updates-settings

  So, if I change Icon Entry to Icon=/usr/share/pixmaps/nvidia-319
  -updates-settings.png , and logout and login, the icon item menu works
  fine.

  I has this problem with Scilab too, or any other that I need to pick
  an icon for item menu.

  Package: alacarte 3.10.0-1
  ApportVersion: 2.12.5-0ubuntu2.1
  Architecture: amd64
  Date: Fri Dec 13 20:46:59 2013
  InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 13.10 "Saucy Salamander" - Release amd64
(20131016.1)
  MarkForUpload: True
  PackageArchitecture: all
  SourcePackage: alacarte