** Description changed:

  I'm running Ubuntu 12.04 LTS (Precise Pangolin) amd64 _with_ the
  ppa:libreoffice/ppa repository/PPA enabled, and this issue is with the
  current packages (showing as 4.2.0.4 within LibreOffice and
  1:4.2.0~rc4-0ubuntu1~precise4 as the package versions).

  When I have a template in the Template Manager, clicking the Edit button
  should open it up for editing and close the Template Manager. Instead
  the template opens behind the template manager, but then LibreOffice
  hangs or crashes. I've had this issue both with a Writer (.ott file)
  template which I created myself, and with the Impress templates which
  are provided by default.

  I've tried moving ~/.config/libreoffice such that LibreOffice can start
  with fresh user data, but this did not stop the problem occurring.
  Unfortunately starting LO in a terminal, with commands such as
  'lowriter', 'libreoffice' or 'soffice', does not seem to produce any
  output I can paste here.

  UPDATE: See my comment #2, where I note the problem also appears to
  effect the version of LibreOffice in the current 14.04 (trusty), as of
  the 08-Feb-2014 07:49 daily build.
+
+ UPDATE 2: As noted in my comments #3 and #4 I found this issue also
+ effects LO on Windows, so went to report the bug upstream, only to find
+ an existing report there, which I have now linked. That report seems to
+ suggest the upcoming 4.2.1 release of LO should have fixed the issue.

  LibreOffice crashes when trying to open template for editing from
  Template Manager

Status in LibreOffice Productivity Suite:
  Fix Released
Status in “libreoffice” package in Ubuntu: