In between I reported the bug I installed Ubuntu GNOME on my "test"
partition and did the previous test by installing the 'ubuntu-desktop'
metapackage to get Unity back. For some reason it didn't pull unity-
settings-daemon which wasn't installed when I ran the test.

I installed it manually and confirm that layout switching with both
Super+Space and Super+Shift+Space work properly if I use your PPA.

Sorry for the confusion.

Packages, which is subscribed to unity-control-center in Ubuntu.

  The Text Entry dialog shows invalid keyboard shortcuts to change
  layout

Status in “unity-control-center” package in Ubuntu:

  On Ubuntu Trusty:

  Clicking the "Text entry settings" on indicator-keyboard opens the
  "Text Entry" configuration panel. However, this panel shows two
  keybindings to switch between keyboard layouts which are unusable in
  their default setting:

  - Switch to next source using: Super + Space
  - Switch to previous source using: Shift + Super + Space

  Changing the combo to any which doesn't include the Super key works-
  around the problem.

  I'm speculating that this happens because Compiz/Unity incercepts the
  Super key since it is used to manage its shortcuts.