@Matthieu Baerts (matttbe) , thank you very much!!!
I added your ppa and tested GNOME FlashBack sessions (Compiz and Metacity) -
nm-applet is auto-loaded in them, it's great!

I booted my Ubuntu 12.04.4 machines - they do not have nm-applet in
lightdm/unity-greeter, so this is not an issue.
So bug #1267100 is fixed.

Packages, which is subscribed to network-manager-applet in Ubuntu.

  nm-applet is no longer launched at startup on non gnome-shell sessions

Status in “network-manager-applet” package in Ubuntu:

  Hello and thank you for maintaining nm-applet packages!

  With the latest version (0.9.8.4-1ubuntu1), nm-applet is no longer launched
at startup on non Gnome-Shell sessions (e.g. on Cairo-Dock session).
  It seems this is because this patch is no longer applied:
git_dont_autostart_under_GNOME.patch

  I'm proposing a new version (please see the branch linked to this bug
  report) which re-adds this patch.

  Note that this patch should no longer be needed with the next 0.9.8.8
  version: https://git.gnome.org/browse/network-manager-
  applet/commit/?id=e192e83c1aa136512a9d4f026f81677799af8127