The issue seems to be an upstream one and it would be nice if somebody
having it could send the bug to the developers of the software by
following the instructions at
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Bugs/Upstream/GNOME. If you have done so, please
tell us the number of the upstream bug (or the link), so we can add a
bugwatch that will inform us about its status. Thanks in advance.

  Can't change default "Open with" application

Status in “nautilus” package in Ubuntu:

  I am on Ubuntu 13.10 using nautilus  1:3.8.2-0ubuntu2.2.

  I am trying to change default application to open .avi files. I right-
  click an .avi file select "Properties", go to "Open With". There is a
  default application there (banshee) and recommended (VLC media
  player). I select VLC media player and click "Set as default" button,
  selection jumps back to banshee, "Set as default" button disabled and
  nothing else happens. Nautilus still opens .avi files with banshee.

  Package: nautilus 1:3.8.2-0ubuntu2.2
  ApportVersion: 2.12.5-0ubuntu2.2
  Architecture: amd64
  Date: Sun Feb 16 21:45:45 2014
  GsettingsChanges: b'org.gnome.nautilus.window-state' b'geometry'
b"'1497x873+0+171'"
  InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 13.10 "Saucy Salamander" - Release amd64
(20131016.1)
  MarkForUpload: True
  SourcePackage: nautilus
  mtime.conffile..etc.xdg.autostart.nautilus.autostart.desktop:
2013-11-20T19:34:55.419627