This bugs is still valid. We don't have a problem with at this point,
because we have both mir and mesa packages in the archive, so we can
build new versions using the existing versions of -dev packages to
fulfill dependencies (this needs some care when we make incompatible
changes).

I think our best way forward is to remove the dependency libegl1-mesa-
dev has on libmirclient-dev. It's reasonable to assume that a program
that needs to use Mir with EGL will depend on libmirclient-dev itself,
or at least mircommon-dev (otherwise how can it know about the
MirConnection/Surfaces types it needs to pass to EGL?).

I would also recommend changing mesa to build depend on mircommon-dev
instead of the full libmirclient-dev, since it only needs the Mir EGL
definitions in the former package.

Packages, which is subscribed to mesa in Ubuntu.

  Mir/Mesa packaging have a dependency cycle so neither can build

Status in Mir:
  Fix Released
Status in “mesa” package in Ubuntu:

  Mir/Mesa have a dependency cycle so cannot build if there are any
  significant changes in one (like a soname/ABI bump).

  Mesa depends on mirclient
  mirserver depends on Mesa

  what makes it a cycle is that mirclient and mirserver are a single
  source package. So if anything changes (like libmirclient0 changing to
  libmirclient1) then we're stuck and can't rebuild anything. Not sure
  which chicken or egg came first and how we made it work originally.