A workaround which is OK for me is to use Mysql(JDBC).  It is slower,
but it seems to work.  Whether it is suitable for commercial use I
couldn't say.

  libreoffice Mysql connector fails over network

Status in “libreoffice” package in Ubuntu:

  I am running xubuntu 12.04, 32 bit, fully up to date.
   I installed libreoffice 4.2.0.4 from the ubuntu libreoffice standard ppa.
This includes:

   libreoffice-mysql-connector 1.0.2+LibO4.2.0~rc4-0ubuntu1~precise4

  In libreoffice 4.1.4 this mysql(native) connector worked locally and
  over my home network.  In 4.2.0.4 it works locally but not over my
  home network,.  Nothing else has changed.  Mysql(JDBC) still works.

  The reported error is:

  [code]
  SQL Status: HY000
  Error code: 2002

  Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket
'/var/run/mysqld/mysqld.sock' (2)
  [/code]

  This is odd, since I am trying to connect over my network.

  The Libreoffice team have said they do not support mysql connector,
  but rely on distributions such as ubuntu.