Status changed to 'Confirmed' because the bug affects multiple users.

** Changed in: software-center (Ubuntu)

Packages, which is subscribed to software-center in Ubuntu.

  ubuntu-software-center functionality depends on /var/cache directory

Status in Ubuntu Software Center:
  New
Status in “software-center” package in Ubuntu:

  This is fresh install of Ubuntu 12.04.3 LTS. Fully updated.

  I recently moved the /var/cache directory to tmpfs for my own reasons.
  According to FHS [1] the /var/cache contents should be deletable. Also
  according to an accepted answer on askubuntu.com [2] there should be
  no problem on deleting the contents of /var/cache directory.

  Reproduce:

  Move /var/cache to tmpfs via /etc/fstab by adding the following line

      tmpfs /var/cache tmpfs defaults,noatime,mode=1777 0 0

  reboot your system and try to open ubuntu software center.

  What I expected to happen:

  ubuntu software center recreates the folders/files that are needed in
  order to function correctly (i.e. like apt does).

  [1] - http://www.pathname.com/fhs/2.2/fhs-5.5.html
  [2] -
http://askubuntu.com/questions/107858/moved-logs-to-ram-tmpfs-and-now-got-this-problem

  Package: software-center 5.2.9
  ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 3.11.0-130.200~pok-generic 3.11.6
  Uname: Linux 3.11.0-130-generic x86_64
  ApportVersion: 2.0.1-0ubuntu17.6
  Architecture: amd64