@Bryce:

I get an error about no protocol specified / cannot connect to
DISPLAY=:0 when trying to xrandr --auto from a console or from an ssh
session.

Some more info on the garbling though:
- if I set external (1920x1200) monitor to mirror the laptop (1920x1080)
screen, I see the same garbling effect within a session.
- using fglrx I can have 1920x1080 mirrored onto the external screen fine.
  so actually probably is not lightdm specific, but something with the ati
drivers in oneiric (I've been able to mirror in natty/earlier).

Packages, which is subscribed to lightdm in Ubuntu.

  Greeter not displayed correctly on multi monitor setup

Status in Light Display Manager:
  Triaged
Status in Unity Greeter:
  Triaged
Status in “lightdm” package in Ubuntu:
  Triaged
Status in “unity-greeter” package in Ubuntu:

  Upon booting with an external monitor (1920x1200 resolution) hooked up
  to my laptop (1920x1080 resolution), the external display mirrors the
  laptop display, but garbles the screen (see screenshot).

  Using GDM, the external display is treated as extra screen space
  (greeter appears on laptop screen only), and is not garbled

  Package: lightdm 0.4.3-0ubuntu1
  ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 3.0.0-5.6-generic 3.0.0-rc7
  Date: Wed Jul 20 07:52:42 2011
  InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 10.04 "Lucid Lynx" - Release Candidate amd64
(20100419.1)
  ProcEnviron:
   PATH=(custom, user)
   LANG=en_US.UTF-8
   SHELL=/bin/bash
  SourcePackage: lightdm
  UpgradeStatus: Upgraded to oneiric on 2011-07-13 (6 days ago)