Status changed to 'Confirmed' because the bug affects multiple users.

** Changed in: libreoffice (Ubuntu)

  Square boxes instead of menu labels in Japanese Libreoffice

Status in “libreoffice” package in Ubuntu:

  Binary package hint: libreoffice

  In December I installed Ubuntu 10.10 on my new laptop. I chose
  Japanese as the language of both the OS and the installer, so there
  should be no doubt that all relevant fonts have been installed. When
  Ubuntu 11.04 was released, I made an upgrade to 11.04 which replaced
  Open Office by Libre Office. Since the OS is in Japanese, so is Libre
  Office. The bug is that all Japanese characters in the menus are
  replaced by square boxes; the only Japanese characters I see are "無題"
  (untitled) in the window title. This makes the menus very hard to use.

  I'm attaching an example from Libre Office Calc.