[This is a repeat of the previous comment, with slightly clarified prose.]
I can't confirm the observation of josgray. I use the Guest account to log in
under a "Gnome" session (not Ubuntu).
>From there, choosing to "Switch user" gives the same behaviour as my original
>post, though without the need for a password since Guest has none. That is,
>the screen goes blank except for a top bar, and nothing more happens. Pressing
>a key returns to the desktop of Guest.

Packages, which is subscribed to lightdm in Ubuntu.

  choosing to switch users leads to dark screen, no options

Status in “lightdm” package in Ubuntu:

  Using Gnome (3?) in 11.10, I choose Switch User from my name in the
  top right. Screen fades to black, except for my name and the time.
  Nothing happens. I press spacebar, and get a chance to log back in.
  So... it's behaving has a screen lock; not an opportunity to switch
  users.

  Package: gnome-shell 3.2.0-0ubuntu1
  Uname: Linux 3.0.0-12-generic i686
  NonfreeKernelModules: wl