Status changed to 'Confirmed' because the bug affects multiple users.

** Changed in: alsa-driver (Ubuntu)

Packages, which is subscribed to alsa-driver in Ubuntu.

  System76 galu1: Inverted Internal microphone (phase inversion)

Status in “alsa-driver” package in Ubuntu:

  As per this meta-bug:
  https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/alsa-driver/+bug/1002978

  The System76 Galago UltraPro (galu1) has inverted stereo mics. We
  didn't catch this in our testing as (interestingly) there is no
  cancellation effect  when the mic is set at the default gain level of
  "Unamplified", and apparently no one happened to turn the gain up
  during testing =)

  Another interesting thing is that there is likewise no cancellation
  effect up to maybe 15% gain (by slider position in UI). Up to this max
  working gain level, the audio sounds perfect. But if I increase the
  gain just one tick more (right arrow while gain slider is focused),
  there is then complete cancellation... all you get are weird popping
  sounds now and then.

  However, if I put the gain at 100% and then turn off either the right
  or left channel in alsamixer, the audio sounds fine, which suggests
  typical phase inversion. But the fact that it works at lower volume
  levels doesn't really make sense, so I expect there is some other
  quirkiness that might need to be addressed also.

  I'll do more digging.

  Package: alsa-base 1.0.25+dfsg-0ubuntu4
  ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 3.8.0-30.44-generic 3.8.13.6
  Uname: Linux 3.8.0-30-generic x86_64
  ApportVersion: 2.9.2-0ubuntu8.3
  Architecture: amd64
  AudioDevicesInUse:
   USER        PID ACCESS COMMAND
   /dev/snd/controlC1:  jderose    1542 F.... pulseaudio
   /dev/snd/pcmC1D0c:   jderose    1542 F...m pulseaudio
   /dev/snd/controlC0:  jderose    1542 F.... pulseaudio
  Date: Wed Sep 18 07:32:08 2013
  InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 13.04 "Raring Ringtail" - Release amd64 (20130424)
  MarkForUpload: True
  PackageArchitecture: all
  ProcEnviron:
   TERM=xterm
   PATH=(custom, no user)
   XDG_RUNTIME_DIR=<set>
   LANG=en_US.UTF-8
   SHELL=/bin/bash
  SourcePackage: alsa-driver
  dmi.bios.date: 07/09/2013
  dmi.bios.vendor: American Megatrends Inc.
  dmi.bios.version: 4.6.5
  dmi.board.asset.tag: Tag 12345
  dmi.board.name: Galago UltraPro
  dmi.board.vendor: System76, Inc.
  dmi.board.version: galu1
  dmi.chassis.asset.tag: No Asset Tag
  dmi.chassis.type: 9
  dmi.chassis.vendor: System76, Inc,
  dmi.chassis.version: galu1
  dmi.modalias:
dmi:bvnAmericanMegatrendsInc.:bvr4.6.5:bd07/09/2013:svnSystem76,Inc.:pnGalagoUltraPro:pvrgalu1:rvnSystem76,Inc.:rnGalagoUltraPro:rvrgalu1:cvnSystem76,Inc,:ct9:cvrgalu1:
  dmi.product.name: Galago UltraPro
  dmi.product.version: galu1
  dmi.sys.vendor: System76, Inc.